Where We're Located
Located in the amazing Huron National Forest, LogHaven is 2 miles from its nearest neighbor. Hardwood and pine forests abound, with an occasional open meadow where deer, birds and other wildlife may be viewed. The AuSable River is about ten miles north. Sports enthusiasts love its versatility – its fast-flowing, clear water is famous for canoeing/rafting and fishing. Known for the conservation efforts on behalf of the endangered bird species, Kirtland's Warbler, the Dept. of Natural Resources has created nesting areas throughout the entire area. Warbler tours for sightings are offered several times each year. Off road vehicle and snowmobile trails are within a half mile and connecting trails allow riders to travel hundreds of miles.
The three small villages nearby each have charming offerings
- West Branch is the county seat and has antiques and an outlet mall. The Victorian Art Fair in early August is heaven for arts and crafts shopping. The Harley Owners Group (HOG) holds an annual rally which includes the Show Your Iron parade, loved by all – especially kids. The Ogemaw County Fair is held each August and draws exhibitors and guests from all over the state. More fun for kids – and adults!
Mio is the jumping-off spot for much AuSable River activity. Canoe liveries are located in town. There is a small Amish community just north of Mio with several stores and local sights.
Rose City is a quaint small town. There are two good wineries that offer free wine tastings every day. The Rifle River Recreation Area is just east of town and has everything an outdoorsy person could want - fishing, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, camping.
Guests have the option of dining in any of the three nearby towns.
West Branch: (Approximately 25 minute drive)
- The Tipsy Bear Bistro - great menu, unusual offerings, reasonable prices, large wine cellar
- G's Pizza and Sports Bar – really good restaurant with much more than just pizza. Seating on the second floor is very nice.
- The Willow Tree - fine dining, with a more casual atmosphere. Recommended for special occasions.
- Buck's Country Kitchen - always good food and service
- The China Inn – complete menu – located in a restored hotel
- Sandbaggers Grill at the West Branch Country Club
- The Lumberjack located at the Quality Inn
- Applebees, Ponderosa and other chain restaurants
Rose City: (Approximately 15 minute drive)
- The Faull Inn – reputed to have the “north's best pizza” plus good sandwiches and specials.. Full bar
- The Rose City Cafe – down to earth good food (no liquor)
- Trapper's – sports bar and food
- No Limits Pizza - sandwiches, too. Dine in and carry out
Mio: (Approximately 25 minute drive)
- O'Briens - in downtown Mio - a favorite of our guests
- Ma Dieters - in Luzerne - 8 miles west of Mio - an experience in "up north" restaurants
- The AuSable Inn and The Paddle Inn - both have good food (no liquor)
- Championship Golf Courses including The Dream & The Nightmare, Garland, Forest Dunes - eight courses within 30 miles
- AuSable River and Rifle Rivers offer canoeing/kayaking/rafting, fishing
- Wineries - Three wineries included in the Sunrise Side Wine & Hops Trail are within minutes
- Dark sky every night for amazing star gazing
- Rifle River Recreation Area for hiking, canoeing, fishing, swimming
- Geocaching - Hundreds of caches in Ogemaw, Oscoda and neighboring counties
- Ogemaw Hills Pathway for cross-country skiing and hiking
- Off-road vehicle trails and trailheads
- Snowmobile trails, groomed
- Shore-to-Shore Equestrian Trail
- Kirtland Warbler nature walk
- Morel mushroom hunting
- Hunting – deer, birds, small game